Re: shapes-ISSUE-158 (ill-typed literals and sh:datatype): ill-typed literals do not always trigger a validation result [SHACL - Core]

I had looked into this topic a while ago. My proposal is to keep the
validation of ill-formed literals and sh:datatype separate, i.e.
sh:datatype should not check for well-formedness. The reasons for that
are two-fold:

a) doing this extra test would have a performance penalty for such a
frequently used operation. The test is not trivial, e.g. for xsd:dateTime.
b) I see no way in standard SPARQL to express such a test. The best
thing we came up with is to use a higher-level function to invoke the
type casts such as xsd:integer("a"), following by a bound(?result)
check. But such a higher-level "invoke" function does not exist in
SPARQL 1.1

My preference is to leave this capability to extensions, i.e. close the
ticket without action.

Holger