Re: $variables

On 8/07/2016 8:35, Karen Coyle wrote:
> On the call today I was told that the way to avoid the complication of
> the $variables in the spec is to choose not to view the SPARQL in the
> draft. However, even with the SPARQL hidden, the $variables are still
> visible since they are part of the explanatory text. So this does not
> solve the problem, and in fact it probably makes it worse because
> without the SPARQL the $variables make even less sense. For example,
> with SPARQL definitions hidden, you see:
>
> **********
>
> 2.1.1 Node scopes (sh:scopeNode)
>
> A node scope with value $scopeNode, defines $scopeNode as the node
> in-scope in the data graph.
>
> Node scopes are defined with the sh:scopeNode predicate. The values of
> sh:scopeNode can be a IRIs or literals.
>
> *************
>
> I think they need to be removed from the text, and moved into the
> SPARQL code area, and the text should be complete without using them.

That would be fine with me. I had used the values in SPARQL-like $
notation to make it easier to read for those who are familiar with
SPARQL because the SPARQL query and its description would match. But if
the WG thinks this is too geeky, we can just drop the $ sign and change
the CSS style around these variables.

I do wonder what audience are we talking about here? What in particular
is difficult to understand about the $ variables? The spec is not a
tutorial...