Re: implementation of core SHACL (using proposed syntax)

Here is a simple shape.

ex:pc a sh:Shape ;
  sh:scopeClass ex:pcC ;
  sh:propValues ( ex:p [ a sh:Shape ; sh:class ex:pcPC ] ) .

Here is the ugly query it turns into

PREFIX sh: <http://www.w3.org/ns/shacl#>
# SHAPE start <http://ex.com/pc>
  SELECT ?parent ?this ?subject ?predicate ?object
 ?thisShape ?childShape ?severity ?component ?message
  WHERE # SHAPE body
 { { # newContext
  SELECT DISTINCT ?parent ?this ?subject ?predicate ?object ?thisShape
?childShape ?severity ?component ?message
  WHERE { { # SHAPE start "ub1bL311C24"
  SELECT ?parent ?this ?subject ?predicate ?object
 ?thisShape ?childShape ?severity ?component ?message
  WHERE # SHAPE body
 { {   SELECT ?parent ?this (?this AS ?subject) ("ub1bL311C24" AS ?thisShape)
# FRAGMENT
         (<http://www.w3.org/ns/shacl#Violation> AS ?severity)
(<http://www.w3.org/ns/shacl#class> AS ?component) ("Does not have required
class ex:pcPC" AS ?message)
  WHERE { { SELECT (?p AS ?parent) (?gp AS ?grandparent)
 WHERE { { SELECT (?this AS ?p) (?parent AS ?gp) WHERE { ?this
rdf:type/rdfs:subClassOf* <http://ex.com/pcC> . } }
 } } { ?parent <http://ex.com/p> ?this . }
          FILTER ( ! EXISTS { ?this rdf:type/rdfs:subClassOf*
<http://ex.com/pcPC> } ) } }
        } # SHAPE end "ub1bL311C24"
 } UNION
   { SELECT ?parent ?this (?this AS ?subject) (ex:p AS ?predicate) ?object
  (<http://ex.com/pc> as ?thisShape) ("ub1bL311C24" as ?childShape)
(<http://www.w3.org/ns/shacl#Violation> AS ?severity)
(<http://www.w3.org/ns/shacl#propValues> AS ?component) ("In path ex:p " AS
?message)
     WHERE {
         { SELECT (?o AS ?object) (?p AS ?this) WHERE
    { SELECT (?parent AS ?p) (?this AS ?o ) WHERE {
   { # SHAPE start "ub1bL311C24"
  SELECT ?parent ?this ?subject ?predicate ?object
 ?thisShape ?childShape ?severity ?component ?message
  WHERE # SHAPE body
 { {   SELECT ?parent ?this (?this AS ?subject) ("ub1bL311C24" AS ?thisShape)
# FRAGMENT
         (<http://www.w3.org/ns/shacl#Violation> AS ?severity)
(<http://www.w3.org/ns/shacl#class> AS ?component) ("Does not have required
class ex:pcPC" AS ?message)
  WHERE { { SELECT (?p AS ?parent) (?gp AS ?grandparent)
 WHERE { { SELECT (?this AS ?p) (?parent AS ?gp) WHERE { ?this
rdf:type/rdfs:subClassOf* <http://ex.com/pcC> . } }
 } } { ?parent <http://ex.com/p> ?this . }
          FILTER ( ! EXISTS { ?this rdf:type/rdfs:subClassOf*
<http://ex.com/pcPC> } ) } }
        } # SHAPE end "ub1bL311C24"
     } FILTER ( sameTerm(?thisShape,"ub1bL311C24") )
  } } }
   ?this rdf:type/rdfs:subClassOf* <http://ex.com/pcC> .
     }
   }
 } }
        } # SHAPE end <http://ex.com/pc>

I have worked with the SPARQL implementation in RDFLIB.  This implementation
is quirky and buggy in a number of ways so the above query may not be valid
SPARQL.

There are other ways of proceeding.  One way, which might be more efficient
for core SHACL, would be to emit a number of queries for each shape and not
use subqueries at all.

Here are a set of results that are returned

PARENT ex:pc2 THIS ex:pcp2 SE sh:Violation C sh:class SH "ub1bL311C24" CSH S
ex:pcp2 P O MESSAGE "Does not have required class ex:pcPC"
PARENT ex:pc3 THIS ex:pcp4 SE sh:Violation C sh:class SH "ub1bL311C24" CSH S
ex:pcp4 P O MESSAGE "Does not have required class ex:pcPC"
PARENT ex:pc3 THIS ex:pcp2 SE sh:Violation C sh:class SH "ub1bL311C24" CSH S
ex:pcp2 P O MESSAGE "Does not have required class ex:pcPC"
PARENT THIS ex:pc2 SE sh:Violation C sh:propValues SH ex:pc CSH "ub1bL311C24"
S ex:pc2 P ex:p O ex:pcp2 MESSAGE "In path ex:p "
PARENT THIS ex:pc3 SE sh:Violation C sh:propValues SH ex:pc CSH "ub1bL311C24"
S ex:pc3 P ex:p O ex:pcp4 MESSAGE "In path ex:p "
PARENT THIS ex:pc3 SE sh:Violation C sh:propValues SH ex:pc CSH "ub1bL311C24"
S ex:pc3 P ex:p O ex:pcp2 MESSAGE "In path ex:p "

The RDF-style violations are constructed by taking the top-level solutions
with unbound parent and linking them to other solutions where this=parent
(THIS and PARENT in the printed results) and childShape=thisShape (CSH and
SH).

There are two problems making this work for recursive shapes.  First my
generation method would go into an infinite loop.  That could be fixed but
then the triple "chase" would have to be returned so that recursive
violations can be propagated back through the property links.  This can be
done as well but would end up looking more than a bit like just grabbing the
entire RDF graph and processing it outside of SPARQL.