Re: Shapes and/vs constraints

I am not sure to what extent following OWL pattern matters to this discussion. Further, in OWL validations don't work as typically expected because of the OWA and, on the other hand, one could get a violation simply by declaring two classes disjoint and having an instance that is a member of both.

This aside, the closest parallel is probably with OWL restrictions. Restrictions declare constraints (such as cardinality and values) and then other classes are defined as equivalent or subclass of various restrictions. In doing this, the regular classes effectively group restrictions and define a scope (what resources should be checked against the constraints) acting as a shape.

This is not an apple to apple comparison with shapes and constraints because OWL and SHACL have a number of different assumptions and capabilities, but close enough.

Sent from my iPhone