The NoSPARQL use case

From: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 11:35:33 +0000
Cc: "public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org" <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
To: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>, Jose Emilio Labra Gayo <jelabra@gmail.com>
Hi Eric, hi Jose,

Both of you have said that SHACL should be implementable without having access to a SPARQL engine.

I’d like to understand what motivates this requirement.

Can you expand on this? What are the positive consequences for our various users (SHACL document authors, SHACL implementers, end users of products that support SHACL, etc.) that would result from being able to implement SHACL without having a SPARQL engine?

If this has been discussed or written up in the past before I joined the WG, then I apologise and would be grateful for a pointer.

Thanks,
Richard