Re: Shapes vs Classes (in LDOM)

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 6:31 AM, Irene Polikoff <irene@topquadrant.com>
wrote:

> Why would this be a problem?  You can have one set of constraints for one
> portal (constraint definition graph 1) and another set of constraints for
> another portal (constraint definition graph 2). The fact that they both say
> that they are constraints for the same class doesn’t seem to matter – one
> application would use the first one and another application would use the
> second one. There is no conflict. Further, if these were two applications
> in the same enterprise, for example, there is also value in capturing the
> fact that these are two different constraints for the same class is
> valuable.

The problem is that we are talking about different things and they are
different concepts. For example, if I have Observations with a shape in
PortalA which are of type qb:Observation, I want to talk about the shape of
those observations. For example, I want to say that those observations have
some properties which are specific to that data portal. While if I want to
define the shape of the observations in PortalB, which are also of type
qb:Observation but have other properties, I am talking about a completely
different concept. If a system automatically combines those observations
because they have the same type, then it is mixing oranges and apples.

Also, although it was not the case in my example, there could be other
examples where you even don't define the type of the nodes. Some times when
you are modeling linked data portals that extract data from relational
databases or excel sheets, you extract values from tables and link
properties to them. You could assign those generated nodes an rdf:type, but
it should not be mandatory. And this is or will be a very common use case
for linked data applications.

Best regards, Jose Labra

--
Saludos, Labra