Re: "shape" as a relationship, not a class

Hi Irene,
  I have also struggled as whether information objects (e.g.
documents/records) really need to be differentiated from the objects that
they mean to describe. Ultimately, it comes down to what you (and others)
will say about identified entities. Just as Arthur suggested, there are
some properties that strictly belong to records (e.g. creator, modification
date), while other properties strictly belong to the object of interest
(e.g. for a person - name, birthdate,  gender, etc). Having this
delineation is not only useful to disambiguate which object you are
referring to, but is also useful to capture changes made to records and the
provenance of assertions collected. It's really a whole other level of
description, which is necessary for people like me. It's technically
important for me that we make the distinction between a shape, and the
objects that it means to constrain.

m.

Michel Dumontier, PhD
Associate Professor of Medicine (Biomedical Informatics)
Stanford University
http://dumontierlab.com