From:   Dean Allemang <dallemang@workingontologist.com>
To:     Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
Cc:     RDF Data Shapes Working Group <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
Date:   02/12/2015 08:08 PM
Subject:        Re: Two Standards ?
Sent by:        deanallemang@gmail.com

I have been talking about Shapes with my FIBO colleagues - we continue to
face the expressivity issues around OWL (role intersections and friendly
fire seem to come up a lot for us).  We are moving in to things like
SPIN/SWRL, and/or FIBO-RIF(a proposal that I worked on  last July that
moves everything into a subset of RIF) to solve our expressivity issues.
We are currently going to do all of this in Informative Annexes (as
opposed to normative recommendations), because we don't (yet) have a good
standard in which to write these things.

An expressive shapes language, based on SPARQL, would satisfy our group's
needs quite well.

I wonder a bit about the relationship between the two languages that
Holger proposes - is it important that we be able to define how a ShEx
shape corresponds to an LDOM definition?  Or are they being used in
completely different places?  I guess if we take the XSD/RelaxNG example,
there needn't be a deterministic relationship between them.

Looking back, it seems to me that it would have been a good thing if
RELAX-NG had been done through the auspices of the W3C instead of OASIS.
As it stands now, it seems as if one has to choose one's standard
organization to support one's technology.  If we simply recognize that
there could be two different perspectives and develop both standards, we
could actually provide coherent (non-competitive) advice about when each
one should be used.  If we don't, and the other perspective has an
audience, we'll end up seeing it pursued in some other organization.  Ugh.

Prima facie, it would seem like we are doubling our work, but I don't
think that's the case. As Holger said, each group has done enough work now
to write up a coherent spec.  It would actually be *more* work to try to
reconcile them into a single Recommendation.

This situation seems to me to be a bit different from the profiles of OWL,
where we use the same words with different constraints on their usage.
Here, we are solving parallel problems with different mechanisms.  Making
two standards, that are well-informed by one another, seems like a good
idea to me.

Dean

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 7:25 PM, Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>