Re: shapes and classes: different

Hi Peter,

> On 5 Feb 2015, at 10:38, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How does one include anything in a class definition in RDF or RDFS?

Well, one could write it in prose text into the specification that defines the class.

One could also write it into an rdfs:comment or skos:definition in the RDFS file that defines the class.

Or, if one has appropriate vocabulary, one could say it directly in triples in that RDFS file.

> What is a class definition in RDF or RDFS?

I’ll answer by giving an example. Here’s the definition of the class qb:Dataset:

http://www.w3.org/TR/void/#dataset

A pitifully small part of that definition is also written down in the associated RDFS file here:

[[[
void:Dataset a rdfs:Class, owl:Class;
    rdfs:label "dataset";
    rdfs:comment "A set of RDF triples that are published, maintained or aggregated by a single provider." .
]]]

> What does it mean to include a shape in a class definition?

Here’s what I mean when I use these words:

1. The shape is published in the RDFS file that defines the class (assuming shapes can be expressed in triples).

2. If an RDF graph G includes a statement that claims a resource X to be a member of the class, but the description of X in G doesn’t fit the shape, then G is “invalid”, for some to-be-defined notion of “validity”. The important thing is that a validator can detect the condition.

3. Maybe it also means that G is “shape-inconsistent”.

Best,
Richard