Re: AW: SHACL Rules?

On 18/12/2015 6:40 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> People are free to collaborate on whatever they want obviously but to
> publish anything as coming from the WG, even as a WG Note, requires
> agreement from the WG. This would therefore require people to review
> the document and approve publication which would have some cost,
> although clearly less for a Note than if it were part of a spec on the
> REC track.
>
> I have to admit not to be keen on adding anything to our plate at this
> point and while some people are interested I didn't get the feeling
> that this was true for everybody.

This nails down a major problem that I see in the W3C process.
*Everybody* must agree. A single person can derail basically everything,
as long as he or she doesn't upset the chair. As it happens, I am
feeling very negative about any Abstract Syntax. Others will find
reasons to vote against adding rules. Does this mean that we shouldn't
explore and eventually publish any of these deliverables, as long as
they are optional? Some people may see a lot of value in an Abstract
Syntax (e.g. for conceptual clarity). Others may have experienced
practical use cases for rules and wouldn't want to miss this unique
opportunity. Who can tell that one is more right than the other, from
their own little shells? No individual is smart enough to make these
decisions, yet the process assumes and even promotes this.

I am sure this topic has been discussed countless times. I am sure some
people will compare the W3C process with open source projects, that
sometimes also produce useful (de-facto) standards. Their difference is
that the latter put more emphasis on evolution and external feedback,
rather than giving all power to individuals.

Holger