Re: shapes as classes

I think of some shapes as  “Ensemble Types”. An ensemble was a concept introduced some decades ago for object-oriented analysis and design. See this paper by Fichman and Kemerler for more  -  http://csis.pace.edu/~marchese/CS775/Papers/Fichman_oo_conv_analy.pdf

"De Champeaux’s ensembles and ensemble classes are the most rigorously defined of the clustering mechanisms. Ensembles are analogous to conventional objects, while ensemble classes are analogous to conventional classes. An ensemble is a flat grouping of objects (or other ensembles) that naturally go together - usually because they participate in whole-to-part relationships. An automobile. for example, is an ensemble consisting of an engine, doors, wheels, etc. “

The reference to De Champeaux is: D. De Champeaux and P. Faure, “A Comparative Study of Object-Oriented Analysis Methods.” J. Oriented-Oriented Programming. Vol. 5. No. 1. 1992. pp. 21-33.
Ralph Hodgson, @ralphtq

TopQuadrant, Inc., www.topquadrant.com @TopQuadrant

cell: +1 781-789-1664 / fax: 703 299-8330 / main: 919 300-7945
Blog: The Semantic Ecosystems Journal