Re: working on "A Model of Authority in the Web"

Just last week I was arguing in a similar way [1] that one could use some such modal logic to prove that there is a missing HTTP server request, which is causing the latest HTTPS bug [2].

This modal logic would also need to make statements about degrees of belief, or degrees of trust in statements made by others whilst taking into account the quality of the connection.

Particularly a rule that shows that merging information from different levels of trust brings the merged graph to the the level of the least trusted graph.

ie. something like

G1 trustLevel good .
G2 trustLevel bad .
G3 trustLevel veryGood .

[ union G1, G2 ] trustLevel bad .
[ union G1, G3 ] trustLevel good .

Anyway, there is an important issue there in the https stack that requires Web Arch involvement. It seems that very simply the server should be able to ask the client to resend its last request within a more secure channel.

Henry

[1] http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-protocols/2009-December/001040.html
[2] we were made aware of this bug by Melvin's post:
   http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-protocols/2009-November/000937.html