Re: SPARQL grammar... in BNF? N3?

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 13:12 -0500, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:40, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > Yosi, Tim, Eric,
> >
> > The SPARQL parser in cwm... it seems to be built from EricP's
> > BNF...
> >

> > |    if web:
> > |        File = urllib.urlopen('http://www.w3.org/2005/01/yacker/
> > uploads/sparqlTest/bnf')
> >  -- http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/sparql/sparql-grammar.py
> >
> > In the DAWG, the editors added a .jj version of the grammar
> > and are considering what other formats to publish.
> >   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/parsers/sparql.jj
> >   <- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/parsers/
> >   <- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#sparqlGrammar
> >
> > Is BNF the one we want/need?
> >

> Yes, please.  This has been a long-standing informal request.

I'm surprised.

To be clear: you do _not_ want n3/turtle?

By BNF I mean this format:

[1]    	Query  	  ::=    	Prolog
( SelectQuery | ConstructQuery | DescribeQuery | AskQuery )
[2]   	Prolog 	  ::=   	BaseDecl? PrefixDecl*
[3]   	BaseDecl 	  ::=   	'BASE' Q_IRI_REF
[4]   	PrefixDecl 	  ::=   	'PREFIX' QNAME_NS Q_IRI_REF
  -- http://www.w3.org/2005/01/yacker/uploads/SPARQL/bnf

I thought you wanted n3/turtle, i.e. this format:

verb cfg:mustBeOneSequence (
		( expression )
		( "@has" expression )
		( "@is" expression "@of" )
		( "@a" )
		( "=" )
		( "=>" )
		( "<=" )
	).
  -- http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/grammar/n3.n3

(does turtle include @keywords and omitted colons these days?)

> > EricP, have you generated a turtle/n3 version of the SPARQL grammar?
> >
> > Yosi, what's the status of N3 parsers based on n3.n3?
>

> AFAIK, there are several. Sean Palmer's n3p is built from n3.n3.
> I think Yosi's sparql parser is dervied from n3p.
> There is my predictiveParser.py which validates the test suite
> against n3.n3
> but does not have the code to generate RDF triples.
>
> > Do they
> > work yet?
>
> basically.
> There is a test harness Yosi built
> which seeems to have been used on 8 parsers. See the results table
> http://www.w3.org/WWW/2000/10/swap/test/n3/test_results.html
> The harness seems ready to be used to make a more refined answer to
> that question.
>
> > What about using that approach for the SPARQL parser?
> >

> That is what Yosi basically did.
> As I understood it, there was some human intervention in converting
> the BNF.  I seem to remember that it was passed back to the DAWG
> as a comment, and may have been fixed.
>
> There is sparql parsing in the cwm regression test I think.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E