Re: RDF APIs and Python

P.S.  I'm forwarding this message to parties I think might be
interested in such an effort.  So, please disregard if you aren't and
I appologize for any overlap.

On 9/20/05, Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'd just like to say I am interested in common python APIs for RDF and
> I've even licensed Redland's RDF.py more openly to encourage that, at
> Daniel's request several years ago.

Excellent.

> However from my point of view, Python is just one of many important
> language bindings for Redland, so I won't be going so far away from the
> core Redland API scope, or have a lot of time to maintain one particular
> binding over another.  Especially at present.

Understood.  The primary motivation for emphasizing Python was mainly
because it is the low hanging fruit in making demonstratable progress.
 Hopefully, such common/shared APIs can be written to be
*implementation* and language agnostic.

> The two posibilities that seem sensible to me in this area with respect
> to Redland, are an adaptor class below Redland's RDF.py to call some
> common API or an adaptor on top of Redland to allow a common API to have
> Redland backend as an implementation.  (I think there might be some work
> making Redland an rdflib backend but I can't remember the details)

Yes, there is (I used it as reference for doing the same for 4Suite as
an rdflib backend):
http://svn.rdflib.net/trunk/rdflib/backends/Redland.py

I think having the common API above the implementation and an adaptor
in between might be the preferred way to go (at least on the outset)
since doing so requires that such an API is well-architected and
properly abstracts common functionality across implementations.

> So this is more of a for your information message, and in a few months
> time I might have the brainspace to see what the state is.

Thanks for the input.  If you do happen to have the brainspace anytime
soon, I can simply add you as a user to the app server hosting the
current (very basic) Markdown 'Wiki'
(http://metacognition.info/markdown/RDFInterfaces.txt) so you could
contribute directly.  Unless there is a better suggestion for a
permanent home to facilitate this effort?

> Feel free to forward or copy this message to any other RDF+python
> interested parties.  Maybe also Mark Nottingham/sparta, ...?

Chimezie Ogbuji
http://metacognition.info