Re: is/of feature of N3 in turtle/sparql?

At 03:48 28/05/05 +0200, Dan Connolly wrote:

>I just realized the other day that SPARQL doesn't have is/of,
>nor does turtle...

My intuition is that SPARQL queries will overwhelmingly be machine
generated, and that the value of added syntactic sugar will be very
small.  Lacking a compelling functional argument for inclusion, I suggest
that for the sake of simplicity "is ... of" NOT be incorporated into SPARQL.

#g
--

>22:48:25 <DanC> ^sparqlquery select ?pg where { [ foaf:nick "DanC"] is
>cyc:socialParticipants of [ contact:homePage ?pg] }
>22:48:25 <julie> Bad query (SPARQL syntax error at 'i')
>22:48:38 <dajobe> that's not in sparql - is, of
>22:48:38 <DanC> oh frap. no is/of in SPARQL
>http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/chatlogs/swig/2005-05-19.html#T22 -48-25
>
>Hmm.
>
>I'm hoping the WG will close all the remaining issues, including
>http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues#punctuationSyntax ,
>in the next week or so. In particular, punctuiationSyntax is pretty
>much all set to go this Tuesday. So it would be good to get feedback
>on this right away. In particular, if you want is/of in, send
>something to public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org .
>
>refs:
>
>N3 primer, on is/of etc. http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/Primer
>SPARQL http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/