Re: Turtle - Terse RDF Triple Language changes at 2004-07-07

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:06:01 +0200, Arjohn Kampman <arjohn.kampman@aduna.biz> wrote:
> Quote from the changelog:
>
>     predicateObjectList modified so that whitespace is optional and not
>     required before the final ';'
>
> Is there a reason why you removed the whitespace requirement before
> the _final_ ';', but left the whitespace requirement before
> _intermediate_ ';' characters intact? IMHO, it would me more intuitive
> to drop the other whitespace requirement in predicateObjectList too.
>  From a grammatical POV this won't be a problem either.

That seems sensible.  Although I do find whitespace near such punctuation
(either before or after) can be a good idea in most cases.  ';' and ',' are not
allowed in any of the adjacent terms so it cannot be ambiguous.

Change from:
verb ws+ objectList ( ws+ ';' ws* verb ws+ objectList )* (ws* ';')?
to:
verb ws+ objectList ( ws* ';' ws* verb ws+ objectList )* (ws* ';')?

The remaining ws+ are between verb and object (via objectList)
which is good to enforce, although actually is also not ambiguous
if it was removed.  I'd prefer not, otherwise this kind of thing
becomes allowed:

_:a a<obj1>;<pred1><obj2>,<obj3>,ex:obj4 .

Yuck!  I know Terse is in Turtle's title, but this is too much.

Dave