CSV metadata generator and editor

From: Juergen Umbrich <jueumb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 18:17:30 +0100
To: W3C CSV on the Web Working Group <public-csv-wg@w3.org>
Hi all,

one of our students ( Manuel Undesser in CC) developed as part of his bachelor thesis a UI for generating and editing the metadata of CSV files which is compliant with the CSV on the Web metadata standard.

the current early alpha status and test version is available at: http://data.wu.ac.at/csvengine/

We would be very happy for any feedback, comments, criticism, suggestions, bug reports, etc… ;)

We plan to release our editor in the near future to the public with the hope that such a tool will help to further drive the adoption of the metadata standard and ease the generation of an initial version.
We will also release the source code on github after another round of testing, improvements and adding documentation.
Again, any additional suggestions are highly appreciated.

Obviously, there are already a list of further improvements, which can be roughly grouped into three areas:
1) automatically generate comprehensive metadata (e.g., detect column datatypes, primary keys, etc..)
2) detect existing metadata and preload it into the editor, so that a user can edit existing metadata
3) UI and usability improvements

Best
  Jürgen