Re: Reflection on the special telco of CSVW

From: Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 17:52:55 +0100
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
CC: Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>, W3C CSV on the Web Working Group <public-csv-wg@w3.org>, Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@wu.ac.at>
On 10/09/14 13:31, Ivan Herman wrote:
> The template should/must be language independent. Should be simple, ie, such features as lowercase is, in my view a "no-no"

That makes me very uncertain.  A bit of string manipulation to generate
URIs seems quite common.

(i.e. not everything can be pushed to manipulation after the
template/generation step in practice).

e.g. the pre-processing step --

https://github.com/w3c/csvw/blob/gh-pages/examples/simple-weather-observation.md

Is that in or out by alternative 2.5?

W3C does have a prog-lang-neutral solution for common string
manipulation in a subset of the XQuery/XPath Functions and Operators (as
used in SPARQL and RIF).  It is reasonably close to what programming
languages provide.

	Andy