Re: The dcterm/schema.org issue: a proposal to move forward

On 08 Oct 2014, at 11:16 , Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:

> On 04/10/14 08:06, Ivan Herman wrote:
>>> 1. We define a small set of core properties that we consider to be essential in the metadata. "We define" means that we specify the terms to be used in the metadata specification as well as their data types and intended meaning
>
> This makes sense though I do have one small question:
>
> By "we define" do you include giving it a w3c-csv:xyz URI then define skos:/rdfs:/owl: mappings to other vocabularies?  Or, if not, in what way is it different to defining a property or class?

I did not envisage defining a namespaced predicate, so to say. That mapping, ie, giving a URI to that predicate, is only important for the RDF usage, but is not important to the JSON world. We define the json term as used in the metadata, and what its intended meaning is (in this sense, we do define a property).

As a separate step, end users may decide whether, if they care about giving a URI, they want to use Dublin Core or Schema.org or whatever else, and they can do that by using the appropriate @context in the metadata file itself.

Ivan

> 	Andy

----
Ivan Herman, W3C