Re: The dcterm/schema.org issue: a proposal to move forward

On Oct 5, 2014, at 10:42 AM, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> Hey Dan,

>> I made a quick run through mapping these to schema.org. It's fairly good fit,
>>
>> • created: http://schema.org/dateCreated
>> • creator: http://schema.org/creator or http://schema.org/author
>> • language: http://schema.org/language (definition applies to actions;
>> could be generalized)
>> • license: http://schema.org/license
>> • modified: http://schema.org/dateModified
>> • provenance: no direct. http://schema.org/evidenceOrigin is related.
>> • publisher: http://schema.org/publisher
>> • rights: no direct mapping
>> • rightsHolder: http://schema.org/copyrightHolder
>> • source: no direct mapping (how does this compare to provenance), not
>> http://schema.org/source which is medical.
>> • spatial: https://schema.org/spatial
>> • subject: http://schema.org/about
>> • temporal: https://schema.org/temporal
>> • title: https://schema.org/name (rather than https://schema.org/title)
>>
>> (I'm interested in the difference between source vs provenance...)
>
> Note (as I told Rufus) this is just a starting shot, we can reduce, it, enlarge it, rename terms, etc...
>

>>> I think this seems pretty reasonable. The one item I always find a bit
>>> awkward is creator (vs author) but that's just me ;-) (creator esp for data
>>> always seems a bit odd whereas author is more neutral - cf
>>> https://github.com/dataprotocols/dataprotocols/issues/130)
>>
>> Yeah, I believe 'creator' in Dublin Core was an early (1996ish)
>> replacement for 'author', to better fit images, media objects,
>> cultural heritage artifacts etc. Schema.org has both 'creator' and
>> 'author' fwiw.

>>> I agree there to: I like them but they are not as regularly used or as clear
>>> in their usage. At the same time i occasionally find them useful ...
>>
>> We should make it clear that this is only a "starter kit", if people
>> have reason to add more detail, that's all for the good.
>
> Well, we have to be careful how we say this. The core set is  standardized, in the sense that we define what those terms may be, and we require tools (validators, converters, etc.) to understand those. Any new term the user may use may not have the same behaviour (e.g. tools may not check them), so we should probably advise not to use non-qualified terms other than the one we define ( although we cannot avoid people doing that). The advise would be to use qualified names for any other terms.
>
> Of course, we can revise the standard every few years if we want to add new terms.

>>> Agreed - seems very sensible.
>>
>> From the above it looks like a subset that wrote '@context':
>> 'http://schema.org/' would work, and presumably people could do
>> fancier things with their own context file.
>>

> Yes and yes. However, if we decide to use a different term name for something, then the core schema.org context may not work. Also, I do not know whether there is a context set up for DCMI terms... (Gregg may know). Bottom line is that we may have to provide our own context file.

I'm not aware of any such context, but for the most part, the following would just work:

{
  "@context": {
    "@vocab": "http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
  }
}

IMO, getting DCMI to publish and "official" context, with perhaps some datatyping information (although DC Terms is light on this anyway), would be a good idea.

>>> Again seems very sensible :-)
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Are we allowed to make a normative ref to
>> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdfa-context/rdfa-1.1 ? Under what
>> circumstances and it what ways (additive vs edits) does it change?
>
> Well, RDFa has a reference to that file, obviously...
>
> The three  rules (which are described there) are:
>
> - no prefix definition is ever removed
> - if there is a new term coming to the fore then the community (so far the RDFa, but that can be extended) may have a consensus to add this. The initial set was based on a crawl done, independently, of Yahoo! and Sindice to evaluate which were the most widespread vocabularies and their prefixes and we took, I believe, the top 10. Remarkably, I do not know of any new vocabulary that may have come to the fore since.
> - W3C standard vocabularies are added to the mix when they become standard
>
> I never had any complaint on the set since its creation. I guess it could work for us, and would avoid reinventing the wheel...

Agreed. I suspect that such definitions will eventually be used by other formats, and we considered having a default context for JSON-LD, but ultimately rejected it. Note that prefix.cc now supports a JSON-LD context defining all such prefixes [1].

Gregg

[1] http://prefix.cc/context