Re: A draft outline for the CSV2RDF document

On 22/05/14 12:13, Christopher Gutteridge wrote:

> On 22/05/2014 11:55, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> On 22/05/14 09:51, Christopher Gutteridge wrote:
>>
>>> My point is that it will take some thought to take what's essentially a
>>> free text string and convert it to a part of a URI. I've also found that
>>> people who edit spreadsheets are pretty liberal about whitespace and
>>> capitalisation. My system turns the headers into camalCase, which covers
>>> some of these issues, but that may not work for all, especially
>>> non-latin headings.
>>
>> Agreed - we do need a robust conversion from column name to URI in the
>> case where no metadata is given.
>>
>> The metadata is a place where a explicit predicate can be added to do
>> better than the plain conversion:
>>
>> e.g.
>> https://github.com/w3c/csvw/blob/gh-pages/examples/graph-templating.md
>>
>> The other opportunity is to preprocess the CSV file from original form
>> to a form as input to conversion ("5starRating" => "FiveStarRating").
>>
>>     Andy
>>
> There's also the issue of a repeated heading. I've encountered that. eg.
>
> ID, Title, Contact 1, Email, Contact 2, Email

And indeed no headings and RTL with repeated headings.

Do you think more needs to be said in, say,

http://w3c.github.io/csvw/syntax/index.html#core-tabular-data-model
or
http://w3c.github.io/csvw/syntax/index.html#headers

?

(Looking at that, I was expecting #core-tabular-data-model to say that
"columns MAY have titles")

	Andy