(should be added to the use case document...) Re: Example of CSV in Hebrew

On 31 Mar 2014, at 01:24 , Yakov Shafranovich <yakov-ietf@shaftek.org> wrote:

> see:
>
> http://data.gov.il/data?title=&category=All&type=All&ministry=All&file_type=csv
>
> Looks like the columns are going in reverse order

This may be an interesting use case to investigate a bit further (beyond this), because:

- I am not sure what encoding is used. If I download a file (I tried[1]) and read into iWork Number or simply look at it in a text editor, I get gibberish, although programs on Macs do usually handle UTF-8 natively, afaik. The question is, then, how does one find out what encoding is used. Note that "curl --head" on [1] does not reveal any more information. Yakov, I presume you succeeded to get it in Hebrew, how did you get the right results?

- The JSON file is also published alongside the CSV files ([2]). Some notes on that one:
  - the structure is very much what one would expect (each row a separate object)
  - the Hebrew text is now correctly in Hebrew
  - the column names are in English (that may be the case in the CSV file, but I could not read it)
  - all records are collected into one big Array labeled as "Mishmorah" (I do not know what that means), but there is no "row number" in the individual objects for rows. I presume using an array is a more natural way of preserving the order of the rows... Is it something we should take into account for our JSON conversion?

Definitely something to be added to the use case list I believe. Thanks Yakov!

Ivan

> Yakov

[1] http://www.justice.gov.il/MojHeb/DataGov/Custody/Custody_Court_Decisions_2006-2010.csv
[2] http://www.justice.gov.il/MojHeb/DataGov/Custody/Custody_Court_Decisions_2006-2010.json