From: Jeni Tennison [mailto:jeni@jenitennison.com]
Sent: 23 February 2014 21:04
To: Tandy, Jeremy
Cc: public-csv-wg@w3.org
Subject: Organising Requirements

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for all your work pulling together the use cases and requirements.

Do you think it would be useful to cluster the requirements? Looking at them, I can see:

  * Parsing, eg requirements around recognising other delimiters
  * Annotation Types, eg R-PrimaryKey
  * Metadata Discovery, eg R-PackagingOfMultipleTables
  * Applications, eg R-CsvValidation
  * Non-Functional, eg R-ZeroEditCompatibility

Regarding the requirement R-PackagingOfMultipleTables, I think the requirement is to annotate a group of tables, not necessarily to package them. In other words, a design in which there was a metadata file that pointed to a group of tables hosted elsewhere on the web would seem to satisfy the requirement from PublicationOfNationalStatistics: they wouldn’t necessarily need to be packaged together (eg in a zip).

Also, FWIW, I would only take syntactic requirements from published “CSVs”, not from non-text-based formats like Excel. So, for example, I wouldn’t use the ONS Excel files as demonstrating a requirement to have multiple tables within a single CSV file.

Cheers,

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison