Re: ISSUE management

On Feb 21, 2014, at 1:25 AM, Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:

> On 19/02/14 09:12, Alfredo Serafini wrote:
>> Hi Andy, if you plan to mantain some source/documentation on github,
>> that issue management it's really good, widely used, and permits also
>> the usage of the @username reference, which may be used for discussing
>> specific technical elements inline, as a sort of inline topic for every
>> issue.
>>
>> Alfredo
>
> Alfredo,
>
> Yes, for the documents on github, that's the way I presume we're doing it and this was confirmed in the call.  It works well for matters about a document where the editor can close the issue when done.
>
> But what about issues that are not specific to a document (at the moment)?
>
> In other WG, are proposed, refined before being accepted by the WG as "issues" and it is WG resolutions that close that kind of issue.  That's a different a different kind of issue.

The JSON-LD CG effectively used GitHub issues to track both spec issues and more general issues. It's really very effective. What we really need is a way to sync GitHub issues to the W3C tracker, and to get some trackbot/zakim integration.

There is the issue of GitHub permanence to consider. We can reasonably expect Tracker issues and actions to be around indefinitely, GitHub's issue tracker is subject to their business requirements. But, it's really a great tool.

Gregg