Re: CSV2RDF and R2RML

On 19 February 2014 16:50, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2014, at 8:23 AM, Alfredo Serafini <seralf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
> this is a really nteresting topic! really good ideas :-)
>
> I suggest to left the multiple tables problem outside the general
> discussion, and think only about multiple sheets, as using multiple tables
> in the same sheet it's really difficult to imagine how can be mapped
> automatically. It seems to me a task involving some NLP as well as parsing
> from destructured (or bad structured or bard formatted, etc) word files.
>

> I could see how, using my CSV-LD proposal, we could identify the break in
> tables and associate a new context with the next set. The idea would be to
> use an empty line (no columns, just a line separator) to essentially
> terminate processing of the previous table and start processing anew as if
> this were the first line of a new CSV.

Do we have a CSV with multiple tables in the github repo or wiki yet
yet? I don't see anything in https://github.com/w3c/csvw but we didn't
fix a filetree style for such things yet.

Can someone propose a concrete example CSV file associated with one or
more of our use cases in https://www.w3.org/2013/csvw/wiki/Use_Cases ?
(or propose a new use case)

I'd love to see whether CSV-LD addresses the use case. But let's also
get the use case on record. Jeremy mentioned in today's call that
people are discussing requirements which we haven't documented
usecases for yet. If we don't write these down, people won't know what
problems we think we've solved.

For example, in our Use_Cases list Jeni offered a "Publication of
Statistics" usecase in which
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labour-market-statistics/january-2014/table-a01.xls
is one of several Excel formatted examples. Opening that in
LibreOffice I see multiple tabs/sheets (with confusing names). For now
let's assume these get unpacked into (a) one sheet per CSV file (b)
one very wide CSV with blank columns separating (c) one very long CSV
with blank lines separating. Gregg, is that the kind of example you
think CSV-LD would address?  Care to have a go at working through the
details, starting at the usecase end?

cheers,

Dan