Re: Syntax for Tabular Data on the Web

On 12/02/14 13:49, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Andy Seaborne <andy@apache.org> wrote:
>> Comment of whitespace and appearance padding triggered by:
>>
>> """
>> The first line of a CSV+ file MUST contain a comma-separated list of names
>> of columns.
>> """
>>
>> Data from a spreadsheet that itself is used for showing data can involve
>> additional padding :  a title, blank lines, blank columns.
>>
>> Maybe we need to focus on this more data-centric style.
>>
>> ----------------------
>> ,,,
>> ,,TITLE,
>> ,,,
>> ,Sales region ,Quarter,Sales
>> ,North,Q1,15
>> ,,Q2,25
>> ,,Q3,16
>> ,,Q4,180
>> ,South,Q1,18
>> ,,Q2,25
>> ,,Q3,13
>> ,,Q4,99
>> ----------------------
>
> I don't think that is a data-centric style, I think its human-centric.
> Titles, padding, blank lines are there for readers of the spreadsheet,
> rather than consumers of the tabular data.

It's a question of scope.

1/ A subset is a data table - do we want a way to say that?
2/ The repeat/non-repeat of cell like "North"

In machine generated files, it it more likely to have "North" in the 3
cells below it but empty for "repeat" does occur.  Gregg described the
de-normalization of foreign key relationship.

I think the WG could just consider "data tables" - fully populated
cells, header row - and be a success but I'm asking whether it should do so.

One thing we could do is provide narrative in best practices that
describes the issues and the consequences.

	Andy