Re: ISSUE-8 of "Model for Tabular Data and Metadata on the Web"

The downside of bundling them together is that it presupposes a solution
that will enable that optionality in metadata.  By splitting the
requirement into two requirements, the WG can more easily decide which
of the individual requirements (either, both or neither) to meet.

David

On 04/07/2014 09:10 AM, Tandy, Jeremy wrote:
> Good points ... rather than introducing a new requirement into the
> document, I propose that we capture both "open" and "closed"
> validation modes within R-CsvValidation. I like the idea of being
> able to drive both behaviours from the validation activity.
>
> Jeremy
>
> -----Original Message----- From: David Booth
> [mailto:david@dbooth.org] Sent: 07 April 2014 14:07 To: Tandy,
> Jeremy; public-csv-wg@w3.org; Jeni Tennison; 'Gregg Kellogg' Subject:
> Re: ISSUE-8 of "Model for Tabular Data and Metadata on the Web"
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> It sounds like the R-CsvValidation requirement may need to be split
> into two separate validation requirements:
>
> R-CsvOpenValidation: Does the data in the CSV conform to the
> metadata, ignoring inapplicable metadata?  For example, is every
> column in the CSV described by some metadata?
>
> R-CsvClosedValidation: Does the metadata describe anything that does
> NOT appear in the CSV?
>
> I suppose if the metadata had a notion of optional columns then both
> of these cases could be covered at once.
>
> David
>
> On 04/07/2014 08:25 AM, Tandy, Jeremy wrote:
>>> if a column is renamed from "City" to "Town", it could safely
>>> contain metadata for both City and Town columns, and whichever
>>> one did not appear in the CSV data would be ignored
>>
>> In Requirement
>> R-CsvValidation<http://w3c.github.io/csvw/publishing-snapshots/FPWD-uc

r/Overview.html#R-CsvValidation> we talked about being able verify
>> that a particular CSV file follows the data definition resource. So
>> if "City" or "Town" were missing, this would fail validation. We
>> are yet to progress onto what it means to validate a CSV file (over
>> and above checking it's well formed
>> (R-WellFormedCsvCheck<http://w3c.github.io/csvw/publishing-snapshots/F

PWD-ucr/Overview.html#R-WellFormedCsvCheck>)