Re: Objectives?

On Mon, 2022-10-31 at 13:33 +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
> How much of a moving target is the print element of CSS?
> I.e. to use as a target for objectives?
> Anyone familiar over time?

It's very incomplete, at best working draft with incomplete proposals
partly in the specs, but as far as i can tell it's barely moved forward
in the past decade.

It might be that a useful thing a CG could do would be to take some of
those proposals and some of the vendor extensions, and get them spec-
ready, and show implementations, whether in browsers or elsewhere.

Getting W3C to accept non-browser implementations has proved
problematic in the past, and is one reason why some of the work has
stalled. I don't know whether there has been any change in that regard,
though - it's possible.

But just having complete, clear specs for the unfinished functionality
would help.

There's issues around line-breaking, around CJK formatting, indexing,
conditional text (e.g. for cross-references), and css page in general
seems very underspecified.

For browser support, we've got beyond the point where Netscape was
happy to put a page break anywhere, with a line of text chopped in half
so the tops of letters appeared on a different page than the bottoms
(!), but firefox still splits ligatures in half with an axe when it
does line-breaking.

Despite all that, the commercial solutions work fairly well. The open
source ones tend not to support "advanced features" such as footnotes
or multiple columns or page-level floats, but are i think improving.

liam

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Barefoot Web-slave, antique illustrations:  http://www.fromoldbooks.org