Re: [css-writing-modes-3] Test planning on sizing orthogonal blocks (§ 7.3.2): 128 tests

Le 2016-09-07 17:40, Gérard Talbot a écrit :
> Koji, Elika,
>
> 7.3. Orthogonal Flows
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-writing-modes-3/#orthogonal-flows
>
> 7.3.2 Auto-sizing Block Containers in Orthogonal Flows
> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-writing-modes-3/#auto-multicol
>

> I am planning to create 128 tests thoroughly checking the formula:
>
> min(max-content, max(min-content, constraint))
>
> where
>
> min-content inline-size of the box: longest word in a sentence or
> longest non-breakable inline box (inline replaced or inline-block).
> Eg: "sentence" in "I am a text sentence."
> https://www.w3.org/TR/css-sizing-3/#min-content-inline-size
>
> max-content inline size: narrowest inline size needed to fit its
> contents if none of the soft wrap opportunities within the box were
> taken. Eg: "I am a text sentence."
> https://www.w3.org/TR/css-sizing-3/#max-content-inline-size
>
> - - - - - - -
>
> What will be those 128 tests?
>

> First, the writing-modes involved:
>
> I will be doing tests involving 3 writing-modes only: htb, vrl and
> vlr. I am excluding parallel-to-each-other writing-modes and I am
> excluding 'sideways-rl' and 'sideways-lr' writing-modes. So, tests
> will involve these writing-mode couples: htb-vrl, htb-vlr, vrl-htb,
> vlr-htb == 4 combinations of writing-modes.
> eg. htb-vrl means that the principal document writing-mode is
> 'horizontal-tb' and the orthogonal block is 'vertical-rl'
>

> Second, body has or has no vertical margins:
>
> body has 100px margin-top and 100px margin-bottom
> body has no vertical margins                                  ==  2
> combinations
>

> Third, containing block's height is indefinite or definite:
>
> containing block's height is 'auto' therefore indefinite
> containing block's height is, say, 400px therefore definite   ==  2
> combinations
>

> Fourth, containing block has sentences before and after or no sentence:
>
> containing block has 1 sentence before and after
> containing block has no sentence before and no sentence after  ==  2
> combinations
>

> Fifth,
>
> orthogonal block's height is 'auto'
> orthogonal block's height is 'auto' and its min-content inline-size is
> greater than containing block's (definite) height (1 very long word)
> orthogonal block's height is 'auto' its max-content inline-size is
> smaller than containing block's (definite) height (short sentence)
> orthogonal block's height is 50%                              ==  4
> combinations

> 4 mult by 2 mult by 2  mult by 2  mult by 4                   ==  128
> tests
>

> Tests filenaming:
>
> sizing-orthog-vrl-in-htb-[001-032]
>
> sizing-orthog-vlr-in-htb-[033-064]
>
> sizing-orthog-htb-in-vrl-[065-096]
>
> sizing-orthog-htb-in-vlr-[097-128]
>
> which I think is descriptive enough.

Since filename include the 2 involved writing-modes, then the test
filenaming will be instead:

sizing-orthog-vrl-in-htb-[001-032]

sizing-orthog-vlr-in-htb-[001-032]

sizing-orthog-htb-in-vrl-[001-032]

sizing-orthog-htb-in-vlr-[001-032]

> If one day we want to tests 'sideways-*', then we should reuse such
> filenaming scheme. Eg sizing-orthog-srl-in-htb-[129-160]

If one day we want to tests 'sideways-*', then we should reuse such
filenaming scheme. Eg sizing-orthog-srl-in-htb-[001-032]

Gérard

--
Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines