Re: Towards a better testsuite: Metadata

On 12/04/2016 20:10, fantasai wrote:
> <link rel="help" href="http://www.w3.org/TR/...">
> <link rel="help" href="http://www.w3.org/TR/...">

actually, having to add this specific help metadata is always one of the
things that most slows me down and irks me when creating tests. It's
certainly important information, but can't we make the link
automatically by using a directory structure that matches the document
structure.  That's something that would make a real difference to the
ease of writing tests.

ie. all tests for the section "7.1. Text Alignment: the text-align
shorthand" get added to a subdirectory at

css-text-3/justification/text-align-property/

the tools can then use the directory structure to identify the section
to which the test belongs, and bingo you've reduced the work of writing
tests to a far greater degree than worrying about one meta element.

it also has advantages if the document structure changes. Just move the
tests to a different directory - no need to change the metadata or
update the file contents everywhere.

it also makes it easier for people to locate tests for a particular
feature by looking in the repo, rather than having to find other
locations that provide such info (if there are any) and tracking down
tests from there.

it also removes the question of whether my test should point to the TR
version of the document or the ED, and btw ask yourself what's the
current ED location today.

maybe i'm missing something, but handling this automatically seems like
a real effort-saver for people creating tests.

ri