Re: [css-ui] Box sizing TCs from Mozilla reviewed

Le 2015-04-28 16:13, Florian Rivoal a écrit :
>> On 28 Apr 2015, at 19:37, Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Le 2015-04-28 07:35, Florian Rivoal a écrit :
>>> Hi Scott, Fantasai and David,
>>> (Sending to you because you are marked in shepherd either as author
>>> or
>>> owner of the TCs)
>>> Since the box-sizing section of css3-ui has now stabilized, I've
>>> reviewed the test cases that Mozilla has contributed to the w3c for
>>> box-sizing. Sorry about the long delay between submission and review.
>>> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/testcase/spec/css-ui-3/owner/dbaron
>>> While they are all correct, they also all need improvements. Most of
>>> the TC are not minimized and use quite a bit more markup and style
>>> than needed for what they are testing.
>>
>> I fully agree with you.
>>
>> A few more comments if I may add here...
>>
>> 1- the test fails markup validation
>
> Didn't notice that. While we're at it, it could be nice not update to
> HTML5 syntax
> (although that's a matter of taste to some extend).

With Firefox, I use HTML validator 0.9.5.8
http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/
which works offline and is excellent and very convenient (number of
validation errors and warnings can be customized to show on the menu
bar). Other possible errors (like unescaped HTML entities) will be
reported too (as HTML Tidy warnings). I never need to submit tests to an
online validator as such extension works offline for HTML4 and XHTML1.x
documents.

>> 2- id="one" and id="two" do not help understanding the test; best is
>> to declare identifiers that are
>> - descriptive with regards to the working logic of the testcase,
>> - descriptive of the design logic of the testcase or
>> - descriptive of the respective position in the containment hierarchy
>> or
>> - descriptive of the respective position in the positioning hierarchy.
>>
>> Identifiers should describe the role of an element inside the building
>> logic of a testcase.
>>
>> eg.
>> (good) id="abs-pos-parent"
>> (good) id="wrapper"
>> (good) id="rel-pos-grand-parent"
>> (good) id="containing-block"
>> (good) id="red-overlapped"
>> (good) id="green-overlapping"
>> (good) id="reference"
>> (good) id="control"
>> (good) id="following-sibling"
>
> I think "container" as a class or id on the parent of the
> #one and #two divs is enough, and there probably no need to name
> two divs at all.

class attribute should be for logical grouping of elements; id attribute
should be used for document-unique elements.

In that test, there was - indeed - no need to name the 2 divs at all.

>> 3-
>>
>> You wrote:
>> "3) no need for black borders anywhere"
>>
>> but since this is testing border-box, there will be a need to have
>> borders somewhere at some point.. You can not realistically test
>> border-box implementation without having borders somewhere... unless
>> your comment refers to the color of borders..
>>
>> [Addendum: This is what you did too in
>> http://jsbin.com/nireqa/1/watch?html,output ; so that's okay.]
>
> Right, I meant that they don't need to be visually distinct,
> not that they don't need to be here. But on top of that, the border
> on the container is entirely unnecessary.
>
>  - Florian

Agreed.

Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines