Re: [css3-background] background-clip-009.html has 1 issue

On 14/05/2013 1:24 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:

> Le Lun 13 mai 2013 22:45, Alan Gresley a écrit :

>>> They have confused me. In my mind, in CSS 2.1, background painting is
>>> one distinct, separate thing and then there is background clipping
>>> (cisaillement, rogner, découper) which is another distinct, separate
>>> thing. CSS3 seems to be merging both things together under one single
>>> property: background-clip.
>>>
>>> Maybe (really not sure of this as it would decisively affect all of
>>> margin collapsing spec) CSS3 background-clip should have been split
>>> into
>>> 2 other properties: background-painting and background-clip ..
>>
>> Gérard, please see the 'background-origin' property [1]? Note the part
>> about 'background painting area'.
>
> I have read it; there is no mention of 'background painting area' in
> 'background-origin' property [1].

It doesn't have to since background-origin doesn't have a margin-box for
positioning and you can not position a thing that does not have an edge.
The only reason I mention background-origin is because it has a
border-box like background-clip.

>> Also read up on the 'background painting area' that is reference in
>> 'background-clip' [2],
>
> I have read it. It clearly is about the painting area. "3.7. Painting
> Area: the ‘background-clip’ property".
>
>> 'backgrounds of special elements' [3] and also in
>> 3.4., 3.9., 3.6. and 7.1.
>
> Well, I have read it all. And I have not changed my mind.

About what?

The reason why I enter this thread is to state that the 'background
painting area' can theoretically be painted also in the margin box if it
was allowed. The border-image property allows painting beyond the border
box with 'border-image-outset' [4].

> Background-color is not painted, is never painted in the margin area of
> an element (except the root one, eg body in HTML4, html), regardless of
> the background-clip property value.

Agree.

> I am working on submitting another test:
> margin-backgrounds-003
>
> Gérard

>> 1. http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds/#the-background-origin
>> 2. http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds/#the-background-clip