Re: CSS3 writing-modes inline-alignment test suites

Le Lun 4 février 2013 9:08, 塩澤 å…ƒ (Shiozawa, Hajime) a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I would like to contribute wring-modes tests, especially for related
> to inline-level alignment property[1].
>
> I have already written five tests and I attach it to this mail.
> Could you review it or give me some comments?

Hajime,

Please consider these as very preliminary comments and suggestions.

inline-alignment-001.xht

<title>CSS Test: writing-mode: inline alignment - Text Baseline</title>

"
For specifications other than CSS 2.1, you can include the module name
somewhere before the colon, like “CSS Selectors Test:” or “CSS Test
(Selectors):”. Do not include the module version number, since the test
might get reused for the next version.
"
http://wiki.csswg.org/test/format#title-element

So here, best would be to write:

<title>CSS Writing Modes Test: ...</title>

One thing I would consider is splitting such inline-alignment-001.xht
test into 2 (or more) distinct, separate tests:

Those 3 tests would be shorter too:
"
Short
    Tests should be very short and certainly not require scrolling on
even the most modest of screens
"
http://wiki.csswg.org/test/format#design-requirements

-----------

inline-alignment-005.xht

Highlighted chunks of text (span) (in inline-alignment-005.xht) should
be using a lighter color like, say, yellow instead of green. With yellow
or orange, the color contrast makes it easy to read the text. Also green
should be avoided (for another reason) unless red indicates failure:

"
Since green-with-no-red is often used to indicate success, it's best to
also avoid green unless using the presence of red to indicate failures.
"
http://wiki.csswg.org/test/format#design-requirements

-----------

I have glanced at all your tests and I'm sure there must be a way to
make the task of testers easier...  I have lots of ideas...

For inline-blocks: ideally, an inline-block should have at least 2
(preferably non-empty) block descendants in tests:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/inline-block-minimal-code-2.html

For best testing purposes, you want to create a structure like this:

      P<div class="inline-block">

and then have the test verify, check baseline-alignment with a reference.

The character I used for checking baseline-alignment of inline-blocks is
"L" like in this test:

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/vertical-align-baseline-006a.htm

>From examining Figure 10 (in section 4.1:
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-writing-modes/#intro-baselines ), I can see
clearly the difference between an alphabetic baseline and a central
baseline.

One thing that would help a lot all of your tests is if one (or a few)
specific fonts could be used for all your tests. Also, drawing (or
simulating its presence) where is the baseline in all your sentences.

Finally, I believe your inline-alignment-005.xht test is most likely the
test that needs work the most.

vertical-align testing: maybe the most reliable way to test various
values is, I think, with an image. If you want to test text-bottom and
text-top, you need to set the line-height to a bigger value than
font-size (which you do not in inline-alignment-005.xht ).

In this customized test page:

http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/vertical-align-values-dhtml.html
(I added "LLLLLL" so that we could always see where approximatively is
the alphabetic baseline: the alphabetic baseline is where the "LLLLL"
glyphs are "sitting".)

line-height is 3 so that top-half-leading is 1em (32px) and
bottom-half-leading is 1em (32px) and are easy to figure out. The line
box is as tall as the dotted orange box.

This static page

http://www.gtalbot.org/DHTMLSection/vertical-align-values.html

sets line-height to 3 for top, text-top, bottom and text-bottom
vertical-align values only.

> Also, I have a question about the writing-modes specification.
> In 4.3 Atomic Inline Baseline, there is the statement "alphabetic: The
> alphabetic baseline is assumed to be at the under margin edge.".
> Does 'at the under margin edge' mean 'at the under margin edge **of
> inline block**'?

Yes, I believe it means under the bottom margin edge of an inline-block,
especially if the inline-block is empty, has no content, no line boxes:

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/vertical-align-baseline-004a.htm

> I think that 'under margin edge of inline block' is too low position
> for inline alignment.
>
> [1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-writing-modes/#inline-alignment

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: