Re: [RC6] border-width-applies-to-001 and 007: 3 unneeded declarations

Le Lun 25 juin 2012 23:14, "Gérard Talbot" a écrit :
> Arron,
>
> [RC6]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/border-width-applies-to-001.htm
>
> [nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/border-width-applies-to-001.htm
>
> 1-
> line 22    margin: 1in;
>
> I see no reason for such 'margin: 1in'.
>
> "
> UAs must compute an initial left and right border width for the table by
> examining the first and last cells in the first row of the table. The
> left border width of the table is half of the first cell's collapsed
> left border, and the right border width of the table is half of the last
> cell's collapsed right border. If subsequent rows have larger collapsed
> left and right borders, then any excess spills into the margin area of
> the table.
> "
> 17.6.2 The collapsing border model
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#collapsing-borders
>
> Since there is only 1 table row, then there can not be any excess
> spilling out toward the left. So, 'margin: 1in' is not needed.
>
> 2-
> line 21:   height: 1in;
>
> "
> The top border width of the table is computed by examining all cells who
> collapse their top borders with the top border of the table. The top
> border width of the table is equal to half of the maximum collapsed top
> border. The bottom border width is computed by examining all cells whose
> bottom borders collapse with the bottom of the table. The bottom border
> width is equal to half of the maximum collapsed bottom border.
> "
> 17.6.2 The collapsing border model
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#collapsing-borders
>
> The maximum collapsed top border is 1in; so, the top border width of the
> table should be 0.5in.
> The maximum collapsed bottom border is 1in; so, the bottom border width
> of the table should be 0.5in.
>
> So, this leaves 1in in height for the cell and the 2 halves of the
> maximum collapsed top and bottom borders. So the table height should be
>
>  0.5in: half of the maximum collapsed top border
> +
>  1in: height set for the cell
> +
>  0.5in: half of the maximum collapsed bottom border
> ================
>  2in
>
> So, line 21: height: 1in can not be honored.
> Chrome 19.0.1084.56 (computed height value of table is 192px) agrees
> with my reasoning here; I do not have IE9.0.7.

I just checked IE9 with browsershots.org this test (with all 3 lines
removed) with

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/border-width-applies-to-001.xht

and it is rendered identically to Chrome 19.0.1084.56.

> So, line 21: height: 1in can be safely removed IMO as it gets overruled
> by the explanations given in 17.6.2 and in 17.5.3.
>
> 3-
> line 27:    width: 1in;

It should have been written instead

line 24:     width: 1in;

> "
> The left border width of the table is half of the first cell's collapsed
> left border, and the right border width of the table is half of the last
> cell's collapsed right border.
> "
> 17.6.2 The collapsing border model
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#collapsing-borders
>
> So, the table width should be:
>
>  0.5in: half of the sole cell's collapsed left border
> +
>  1in: the sole cell's width
> +
>  0.5in: the sole cell's collapsed right border
> ==================
>  2in
>
> "
> The width of the table is then the greater of the value of the 'width'
> property for the table element and the sum of the column widths (plus
> cell spacing or borders).
> "
> 17.5.2.1 Fixed table layout
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#fixed-table-layout
>
> So the table width should be 2in and the line 27 declaration can not be
> honored. Chrome 19.0.1084.56 (computed width value of table is 192px)
> agrees with my reasoning here.
>
> So, line 27: width: 1in can be safely removed IMO as it gets overruled
> by the explanations in 17.6.2 and in 17.5.2.1.

I meant line 24, not line 27.

> The same would have to be carried over to
> border-width-applies-to-002, 003, 004, 005, 006 tests.

And also border-width-applies-to-013 and 014.

> ---------------
>
> [RC6]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/border-width-applies-to-007.htm
>
> [nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/border-width-applies-to-007.htm
>
> This time, calculations are easier since
>
> "
> The width of the table is the distance from the left inner padding edge
> to the right inner padding edge (including the border spacing but
> excluding padding and border).
> "
>
> and the cell has
>
> line 24:    #cell

It should have been written
line 23:    #cell

>             {
>                 border-style: solid;
>                 border-width: 1in;
>                 display: table-cell;
>                 height: 1in;
>                 width: 1in;
>             }
>
> and here again:
>
> "
> The width of the table is then the greater of the value of the 'width'
> property for the table element and the sum of the column widths (plus
> cell spacing or borders).
> "
> 17.5.2.1 Fixed table layout
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#fixed-table-layout
>
> So, the table width should be 3in and its height 3in (Chrome 19 agrees
> with my reasoning); therefore lines 15 and 18 can not be honored and are
> overriden:
>
>             #table
>             {
>                 display: table;
> line 15:        height: 1in;
> line 16:        margin: 1in;
>                 table-layout: fixed;
> line 18:        width: 1in;
>             }

Correct line numbers were 14, 15 and 17

> Therefore, here too, I propose to remove lines 15, 16 and 18.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: