Re: list-style-type-003

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Seo Sanghyeon <sanxiyn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think list-style-type-003 could be improved. It says:
>
> Test passes if there is a bullet (U+25A0) below.
>
> div { display: list-item; list-style-type: square; }
>
> But the bullet is too big, at least on Firefox and Chrome. This is a CSS21 test,
> which says "Glyphs are specified with disc, circle, and square. Their exact
> rendering depends on the user agent". On the other hand, CSS3 Lists defines
> square glyph to be U+25FE.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-lists/#square
>
> U+25A0 is BLACK SQUARE.
> U+25FE is BLACK MEDIUM SMALL SQUARE.
>
> Other relevant glyphs are:
>
> U+25AA is BLACK SMALL SQUARE.
> U+25FC is BLACK MEDIUM SQUARE.
> U+2B1B is BLACK LARGE SQUARE.
> U+2B1D is BLACK VERY SMALL SQUARE.
>
> I propose:
>
> 1. The bullet in the test suite should be changed to match current user agent
> practice.
> 2. The definition in CSS3 Lists should be changed to match 1.

There is no "current user agent practice".  Every major UA (the five
major browsers) uses a slightly different glyph for all of the 2.1
bullets.  So, there is no way to match current UA practice.  The best
that could be done is to slightly loosen the language of the test to
not imply that U+25FE is the correct rendering, but rather merely an
example of a correct rendering.

The editor's draft of CSS3 Lists (I really need to publish a WD of
that spec...) defines those three styles as being up to the UA as
well, with only a suggestion as to how they should look.

~TJ