Re: first-letter-non-punctuation-001 invalid

On 15/10/10 20:21, L. David Baron wrote:
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/first-letter-non-punctuation-001.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/first-letter-non-punctuation-001.xht
>
> This test is invalid, I believe, since it is testing that
> :first-letter applies to a character that:
>   * is not a letter or a digit
>   * is not in one of the punctuation classes through which
>     :first-letter is extended
>
> The relevant section of the spec,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#first-letter  , says that
> :first-letter applies to the first letter or digit, and is also
> extended through punctuation.
>
> However, Gecko does not apply it to other types of characters, such
> as symbols (character classes S*) and the types of punctuation
> through which it is not extended (Pd, in this case).  This appears
> to be the behavior the spec calls for, which leads me to conclude
> that this test is invalid, and should actually be testing that the
> :first-letter does not apply to any characters at all (if that's the
> correct interpretation of the spec, which, I admit, is a little
> uncclear).

I agree that under Unicode 5.1 (and above) that test is invalid (and
:first-letter should apply to nothing); however, the testsuite doesn't
define what version of Unicode it expects to be supported (which has
implications for first-letter-* tests as well as others), which it
probably should. (Otherwise, I'd expect it to test Unicode 4.0, as the
spec requires, excluding anything that has changed in any future version
of Unicode.)

--
Geoffrey Sneddon — Opera Software
<http://gsnedders.com>