RE: 15 rejectable XHTML *-replaced-width-* testcases from section 10.3.x

On Sunday, October 03, 2010 11:13 PM Gérard Talbot wrote:
> The following 15 RC2 testcases should be rejected for the same reasons they
> were rejected as HTML: rendered layout is undefined when the containing
> block's width depends on the element's width (on which a percentage has
> been set).
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/inline-replaced-width-
> 007.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/block-replaced-width-
> 007.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/float-replaced-width-
> 012.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-007.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-014.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-021.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-028.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-035.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-042.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-049.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-056.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-063.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-070.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/absolute-replaced-
> width-077.xht
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/inline-block-replaced-
> width-007.xht
>
> I do not see how these testcases can be rehabilitated or corrected.

I am confused how you think all these test cases are invalid. These tests are verifying the spec can have a case created that puts you in a position where the sizing cannot be resolved. This is exactly what the test is testing. Since the spec has text saying something about sizing there needs to be tests to verify that you can create a test for the situation. Is the rendering of such a test undefined maybe, and maybe that is what we should say in the test.

If possible maybe you and I can walk through each case an see if we can create better cases for each scenario. Let me know and we can take that work off the main mailing list and you and I can solve these case issues. We need these cases it's just the cases may result in an undefined rendering. Remember these case are not necessarily for verifying user agents they are verifying that you can create a scenario to verify the specification. Verification in any user agent is a secondary goal of all the tests though we often promote it to a primary goal

--
Thanks,
Arron Eicholz