Re: [CSSWG] Release Candidate for CSS Namespaces Test Suite

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:57:22 +0200, Leif Halvard Silli
<xn--mlform-iua@målform.no> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren On 09-09-29 15.24:
>>  The point of these lines is that the namespace_prefix is tied to the
>> *. If  you omit the * you cannot use the namespace_prefix.
>
> My view is not interesting. I was just testing UA.
>
> In Webkit the above is simply interpreted to say that we cannot do
> this:  ns|{}.  Webkit did not interpret it as saying that one cannot do
> this:  ns|[attr]{}.

Bug in WebKit.

> [...]
>
> Rather than saying that "the * may be omitted", it should say that the
> 'universal selector' may be dropped. (Or else it could just as well have
> said that the type selector could have been dropped - as the grammar in
> fact show you can - of course it may then select other elements.)
>
> This focus on the character '*' makes it seem as if there is a shorthand
> for the universal selector - namely to drop it.

The specification could be clearer I suppose.

> What do you mean by 'non-namespace cases'? *|*{} is also a non-namespace
> case.

I mean non-vertical bar cases then. The Selectors specification agrees
with how put it, but if you want to view things in a rather different way
I suppose non-vertical bar cases work.

>> No, that is reading between the lines. (And contrary to the grammar.)
>> Your  further examples seem all along the same lines of not reading
>> the  specification literally and trying to infer things that are not
>> there.
>
> It is not reading between the line, it is reading while being inspired
> by CSS21.

That is called reading between the lines.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/