Re: Licensing

Fantasai,

I have taken notice of the release of the test cases by Microsoft.

If Microsoft releases test cases under a certain license, developers
may use those tests. As we already agreed, the "W3C testsuite" has a
different meaning. W3C does not prevent developers using tests they
find somewhere. But W3C -as a vendor neutral non-commercial
organization- has to carefully consider how it will frame its own
testsuite so that people can rely on it and also trust it as an
unbiased way to evaluate tools against the W3C specifications.

This is distinct from developers using tests to debug stuff. There is
a large overlap between debugging and official testsuites and we are
working hard to enable the synergies. But this is not done just by
releasing stuff under the BSD license. The role of W3C in all this is
different from Microsoft's role. So arguing that Microsoft's release
of their tests under BSD doesn't help our decision as our decision
has different requirements to take into account.

Reminding me every 14 days that I have an open action to come up with
a solution helps me to keep this high up in my overloaded to-do list,
but it won't convince me to use a BSD license for all W3C testsuites.
There are more testsuites than just CSS and CSS is not a special case
here. In light of the high impact, I prefer taking my time.

Note well that the CSS testsuite already contains a marked up
distinction between tests and harness that can be leveraged in a
license allowing to change the harness, but not the tests.

Best,

Rigo