Re: pixel-based vs. real-word-pased units

On 9/11/06, Peter Sorotokin <psorotok@adobe.com> wrote:

> Some tests seem to assume that 96px = 1in (e.g.
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/t0803-c5501-mrgn-t-00-b-a.xht).
>
> Isn't that wrong assumption?

Not for anything whose screen is at arm's length from the viewer's
eyes, no. (It _is_ technically incorrect for projection screens, but
in practice if a projection screen rendered 1in as a real inch -- say,
10px -- it would break a lot of existing content, so projection media
UAs usually treat "1in" as being a relative unit and not a physical
one. I expect in a few years we'll end up redefining the absolute
units to take this into account.)

--
Ian Hickson