Re: Test suite

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Ivor Hewitt wrote:

> In the test:-
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/t1604-c542-letter-sp-00-b-a.htm
> (and the duplicates of that test)
>
> I don't understand how test "class=seven" is supposed to work.
>
> The style sets the letter-spacing to "1.25ex", but in the Ahem font, the
> letters are 1em square so isn't the x height is the same as the width?

No, the ex height in the Ahem font is 0.8em. Compare the letter "p", which
is the square but only filled below the baseline, and the letter E-acute,
which is the square but only filled above the baseline. The ex height is
the distance from the baseline to the top of the lower case letters. The
lower case letters are the same height as the upper case letters, but the
baseline is 0.2em from the bottom of the letters. (The extent of the font,
though, as you point out, is indeed 1em.)