Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-variables-1] Custom properties and serialization (#5685)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 23:55:43 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I've editted the spec to reflect the point in (1):

> 	Specified values of [=custom properties=] must be serialized
> 	<em>exactly as specified by the author</em>.
> 	Simplifications that might occur in other properties,
> 	such as dropping comments,
> 	normalizing whitespace,
> 	reserializing numeric tokens from their value,
> 	etc.,
> 	must not occur.
>
> 	Computed values of [=custom properties=] must similarly be serialized
> 	<em>exactly as specified by the author</em>,
> 	save for the replacement of any ''var()'' functions.

Along with an example and some reasoning for this (I remember the UUID case being brought up earlier).

I don't think this change has been approved by the WG, but it's implemented that way in Gecko (and possibly now in Chrome?) so I suspect it'll be a nice easy rubber-stamp. Tagging Agenda+ to get the resolution tho.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5685#issuecomment-885309696 using your GitHub account