[csswg-drafts] [cssom-view] scrollIntoView for text nodes/selections (#6465)

From: Alan Stearns via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 23:03:36 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
astearns has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [cssom-view] scrollIntoView for text nodes/selections ==
https://drafts.csswg.org/cssom-view/#dom-element-scrollintoview defines what happens when you call this method on an element. There are non-element things one can want to scroll into view - text nodes, cursor locations, selection ranges, etc. I was surprised today to find that the 'solution' for these things is to insert a br element in the appropriate spot, call scrollIntoView() on that, then remove it.

Apparently IE9 correctly scrolled selection ranges into view when the method was called:

`document.selection.createRange().scrollIntoView();`

Could we specify and implement this useful behavior?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6465 using your GitHub account