Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-lists] [css-pseudo] need to define blockification of outside markers / interaction of display: inline list-item with list-style-position (#6440)

From: Oriol Brufau via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 22:47:22 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Yeah, changing the computed value of `list-style-position` seems bad for inheritance. Chromium has a quirk that a `li::marker` with no `ol` or `ul` ancestor is forced to be inside, but this doesn't affect the computed value of the `li` for this same reason.

So I guess we could say that `list-style-position` is changed at used-value time, but this is known by the ::marker at computed value time? Or that a computed `display: inline list-item` directly forces the `::marker` to be inside at computed-value time without changing `list-style-position`?

I guess the potential problem of using the computed `display` and not the actual box is that a `display: list-item` might theoretically be forced to generate an inline box. So we would have an outside ::marker in an inline list item box, which we want to avoid... But I don't think that being forced to generate an inline box is possible for now.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6440#issuecomment-881058017 using your GitHub account