Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-flexbox-1][css-position-3] static position of abspos flex children (#5843)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 20:41:21 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@davidsgrogan Hm, that's a separate question I think.

So I guess we have two questions:

* For an abspos child of a flex container, would causing `align-self` and `justify-self` to swap axes (so they match the block/inline axis, like for abspos anywhere else)  cause any breaking changes? This requires:
    * The flex container in question is a column flex container.
    * The `align-self` and `justify-self` map to different values in an absolute sense.
    * The abspos child has both insets in an axis set to `auto` (and is therefore statically positioned).
    * The static positioning rectangle is not equal in size to the abspos item’s margin box in that axis (thus the alignment properties can have an effect in this axis).

* For an abspos child of any flex container, would disconnecting `align-self` from the parent’s `align-items` cause any breaking changes? This requires:
    * The abspos item is statically positioned in an axis (both insets = auto).
    * The static positioning rectangle is not equal in size to the abspos item’s margin box in that axis.
    * The `align-self` value is `auto`.
    * The parent’s `align-items` value is distinguishable from `normal`.

So I think those are the cases we need to count?

Note that if we don't disconnect `align-items` from abspos children, then having `align-self` take effect on non-statically-positioned abspos items (as specced in css-align-3) would be more likely to be a breaking change, because it would cause all of those absposes to start responding to the `align-items` value of their flex container parents.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5843#issuecomment-880999145 using your GitHub account