Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-lists] [css-pseudo] need to define blockification of outside markers / interaction of display: inline list-item with list-style-position (#6440)

From: Oriol Brufau via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 13:02:56 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org

I agree, and https://drafts.csswg.org/css-lists/#list-style-position-property already says

> If the list item is an inline box: this value is equivalent to inside.

Why do you want to do it at used-value time? Blockifications happen at computed-value time in other cases, so it seems inconsistent.

> mostly to prevent the case where we have a block element like `<details>` with `display: inline list-item` and fail to blockify the marker

But I don't think it should be blockified in that case, because `list-style-position: outside` will behave as `inside`?

OK, I see that in Firefox the marker is still outside in `<details style="display: inline list-item; list-style-position: outside;">` even though it produces an inline box. Why?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6440#issuecomment-878260506 using your GitHub account