Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts] Specifying changes to parameters for fallback fonts (#126)

From: jfkthame via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:23:58 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
ISTM you can solve that easily enough by defining a couple of "adjusted font families" to use as fallbacks for your webfont; one to use on body elements and another for headings.

(As an aside, I'm not really convinced it's worthwhile to try and refine this stuff to such a degree. Fallbacks are just that: fallbacks. They may or may not even be available on a given user's system; you might end up with some other default/generic anyway. They aren't expected to render identically to the target webfont, no matter how many knobs we provide to tweak them. After all, if they *did* provide a perfect substitute, why use the webfont at all? So while I can see a case for some controls here, I think we should avoid getting too carried away...)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jfkthame
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/126#issuecomment-764676482 using your GitHub account