[csswg-drafts] [css-contain-2] Clarify whether content-visibility: auto subtree elements are visible in accessibility (#5857)

From: vmpstr via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 22:14:36 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
vmpstr has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-contain-2] Clarify whether content-visibility: auto subtree elements are visible in accessibility ==
The [contain spec level 2](https://www.w3.org/TR/css-contain-2/#cv-a11y) says that content-visibility: hidden elements should be omitted from the accessibility tree.

However, it doesn't say whether content-visibility: auto elements should be included or omitted. It only says that the timing of determining whether to include or omit the element should not differ greatly from non-accessibility path.

We believe that the content-visibility: auto elements should be visible in the accessibility. There is a caveat: in order to keep timing the same not process style, we would assume that the off-screen unrendered elements are visible even if they have something like visibility: hidden, until they are brought into view and style is updated.

/cc @alice @chrishtr

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5857 using your GitHub account