Re: [csswg-drafts] Informal spellings in specifications (#5850)

From: Chris Lilley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 12:59:27 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> But I feel strongly that the "silent gh" needs to
die in English, and no longer spell words with it when I can help it.

CSS specifications are an unsuitable venue to promote _possible future spelling reforms_.

> since reading W3C specifications represent a significant percentage of my exposure to English, in the absence of contradicting information, I tend to assume that whatever is common in such documents is "normal written English"

Yes, that is the normalizing, language activism part.

> a technical spec isn't the place to try and move the needle on not-yet-standardard spellings

I agree. If the intent is to build up a body of published work which can then be pointed to as evidence of usage, this can be easily accomplished by personal blogs and the like.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5850#issuecomment-757935986 using your GitHub account