Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-display] The 'flow' keyword is redundant (#3998)

From: CSS Meeting Bot via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:51:20 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The CSS Working Group just discussed `flow keyword is redundant`, and agreed to the following:

* `RESOLVED: close no change`

&lt;fantasai> Topic: flow keyword is redundant<br>
&lt;fantasai> github: https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3998<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: Mats pointed out that the 'flow' keyword doesn't technically do anything<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: the display-outside value you pair it with, if don't specify anything else, it's implied<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: was wondering why it's there<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: there are 2 reasons<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: it was a remnant of display-inside/display-outside as sperate properties<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: did need a keyword for ordinatry flow<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: when we collapsed back to shorthand, combined values<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: and then I'm personally not a fan of states which are expressed by a lack of a keyword<br>
&lt;miriam> +1<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: so prefer when a particular state allows an explicit keyword, even if getComptutedStyle omits it<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: lastly, Firefox already shipped with it<br>
&lt;fantasai> TabAtkins: so my preferred resolution is to close no change, keep the keyword<br>
&lt;fantasai> astearns: any other comments?<br>
&lt;fantasai> RESOLVED: close no change<br>
&lt;fantasai> jensimmons: Sounds to me like this would have a big impact on authors for the reason we discussed earlier, and we want this<br>
&lt;fantasai> jensimmons: so all in favor of the resolution<br>
</details>

--
GitHub Notification of comment by css-meeting-bot
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3998#issuecomment-901270839 using your GitHub account